About Early Start English:
Early Start English (ESE 99) is a one-unit, fully online course (limited in-person sessions are offered at SF State’s main campus) designed to provide you with a guided experience in the kinds of academic reading and writing you can expect to encounter in your First-Year Composition (English) courses at the university. The course meets for four sessions, Monday-Thursday, over a one-week period during summer session. The work for each daily session should take you three hours and ten minutes to complete. You can complete the work anytime at your convenience between 8am and 8pm.
- ESE 99 is a fully online or face-to-face course designed to help you make an informed decision about which First Year Composition course is best suited to your needs as a learner.
- This course is not meant to evaluate you as a reader and writer; rather you will work alongside your instructor and classmates to assess your own learning needs.
- Through the reading and writing assignments and the Write to Register self-assessment, you will decide which First Year Composition course will help you be as successful as possible in your first year at SF State.
- We believe you are the best person to make choices about your education, so this course is designed to guide you towards deciding which First-Year Composition course will best suit your needs.
- You will engage in college-level reading and writing assignments to give you direct experience in the kinds of work you will do in your First-Year Composition course.
- You will research the First Year Composition course options, ensuring that you have all of the information you need to make an informed decision about which class is right for you.
- Towards the end of the course you will be asked to evaluate yourself as a reader and writer to decide which First-Year Composition course to take in your first semester at SF State by completing Write to Register.