Spring 2018 Single-Session Tutoring:
Single-Session Writing Support
Single-Session Tutoring Schedule:
Thursday 9:00-10:00 and 2:00-4:00
Who is eligible for writing support at the ETC?
To be eligible for the serviecs provided by the ETC, you must be enrolled in one of the following English courses:
- ENG 104: First Year Composition I
- ENG 105: First Year Composition II
- ENG 114: First Year Composition
- ENG 214 Second Year Composition
- ENG 414: Elements of Writing
How can I sign up for weekly, one-on-one writing support at the ETC?
During the first two weeks of every semester, English instructors refer students who they believe would benefit from the services provided by ETC. If your instructor has not referred you, but you would like to receive support, you may request an ETC Writing Coach by doing the following:
- Speak with your English instructor and request a referral to the ETC. Your instructor will give you a Referral Card to bring to the ETC.
- Stop by the ETC during office hours to pick up a Referral Packet.
- Bring the completed Referral Card (from your teacher), Referral Packet, and a writing sample to the ETC at the beginning of the semester.
- Check in the following week (in person or by calling 415-338-1821) to find out if we have matched you with a writing coach.
- If we have matched you with a writing coach, we will enroll you in English 112, Reading and Writing Techniques, a one-unit course for which you will receive credit/no credit (CR/NC). Please see ETC Student Resources for more information on receiving credit for English 112. We will notify you of your writing coach's name, your weekly meeting time, and the date of your first meeting.
- If we were unable to match you with a writing coach, we will refer you to one of the tutoring services on campus (LAC or CARP).
To Become a Writing Coach at the ETC!
Our writing coaches are graduate students and upper-division undergraduate students (at the Senior and Junior levels) from various disciplines such as English Composition, English Literature, Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL), Linguistics, Comparative Literature, or Creative Writing. We encourage students who are interested in teaching, and who would like to gain experience, to serve as writing coaches in the ETC. Though we require proficiency in spoken English, tutoring experience is not necessary.
To become a Writing Coach:
- Obtain a writing coach card either from your instructor or the ETC.
- Fill out the card completely. Be sure to include specific times you are available. Make sure the hourly availability on your card is accurate and gives us as many placement options (hours) as possible. Please turn in your writing coach card to the ETC as soon as possible (no later than the third week in the semester).
- To receive credit, enroll in ENG 699 (if undergraduate) or ENG 899 (if graduate). To add this course you must have above a 3.25 GPA and you must fill out a Petition for Independent Study, which you can obtain at the ETC , HUM 480. You can earn one unit for coaching two students, two units for coaching four students and three units for coaching five students. Please contact the ETC for more information. Please note that you must be a matriculated SF State student to earn ENG 699 or ENG 899 credit.
- The ETC will offer two training sessions back-to-back at the beginning of the semester: the first, an orientation on the administrative aspects of the ETC; the second, an introductory workshop about pedagogical methods and issues. All new writing coaches are required to attend the first orientation.